Tuesday, June 7, 2011

And the gifts begin...

It's been a minute, right??? I know! I've missed writing, but I just haven't had the time. Responsibilites at home and school work come first. Now that school work is gone...hopefully...I'm good to write and read as much as a dare please!

So I'm doing my usual FB browsing yesterday. In my News Feed I notice that my good friend, Kesha, has been back on her blogging game. This particular blog really interested me. She's talking about reading a book called One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Life Fully Where You Are by Ann Voskamp. It is an Inspirational Christian novel that challenges us to embrace our everyday blessings. So, my friend has taken on the challenge of the author by beginning a list of the things she is grateful for that she already has in her life. I thought this was a beauuuuutiful idea from the author. It is so easy for me to vent and list the things that bother me about work, people, and whatever else. Why don't I focus some time on celebrating the MANY blessings I have. I truly feel blessed! I am following my friend's lead and accepting the challenge to list the everyday things that I am grateful for. 1000 things?? I don't know if I'll get to that number, but I will periodically remind myself and display for others the gifts that I feel grateful for. I have so much to be thankful for!

Today, during the last 10-15 minutes of work I had time to start the list. I pulled a sheet of paper out of the printer and pretty much refused to let my pencil seperate from the paper. I stopped myself at 37. These are ordinary things, but I am sooooo thankful.

Here goes my gifts:

1) My little Hyundai. :-) Say what you will about Hyundai, but you can't beat the warranty. KG (the name I given my car) is super CLEAN, black-on-black & beautiful, and it gets 32 miles to the gallon. Halleluah!

2) Peace in my house

3) I am so grateful to have a job!

4) My parents. They're the best!

5) My Auntie Hattie

6) My bestie. 20+ years. Not everybody has the opportunity to have a true friend.

6) Friends in the body of Christ. You all have been there in way you don't even know.

7) My acquired fam (Moses Fam)~ No blood relation, but still fam all the same. They are always there when Lou and I call.

8) Good movies in the collection that keep a smile on my face.

9) All those Sundays I spent sitting at the kitchen table while my Mom was cooking. I was learning how to cook without lifting a finger (except to make cornbread), and I didn't even know it.

10) My friend, Myranda, who has stayed true to our friendship every since we met over a decade a go. She never went a day without talking to me while I was in the desert, and God knew I would appreciate that!

11) My father's (Earthly dad) timeless wisdom.

12) The books of Romans and Ephesians.

13) Tuition Assistance. Thank you, Jesus!

14) Facebook. Makes staying in touch so much easier.

15) Gmail chat/text...can talk to my good friends whenever I like. I wouldn't be able to survive with that message in a bottle nonsense.

16) Blog sites. I love being able to express myself and read others' thoughts. I'm glad it's EASY to do these things.

17) The friendship I have with my husband.

18) Water....I freakin' love it!

19) Hot showers....a deployment or 3 will make you appreciate them.

20) IPOD. It's the best thing since sliced bread.

21) Forgiveness. I am glad the Father has shown me how to be humble enough to ask for it and compassionate enough to give it.

22) Spiritual growth and maturity!

23) The D-V-to the R.

24) Fun co-workers. We spend enough time together. Might as well occasionally enjoy each other's presence and have some great laughs.

25) The Holy Spirit

26) Honest people in my life

27) Good nail ladies. Don't judge me.

28) A husband who likes things clean and orderly.

29) Real toilets that flush and an individual CLEAN bathroom (no stalls) ~ It took a deployment for me to appreciate this.

30) My first supervisor who invested a lot in me

31) Discernment

32) My Smart Phone. I'm attached, and don't judge me.To be able to bank from your phone is a gift in itself to me.

33) Romans 10:8-13 and Romans 6

34) Revelation in situations

35) Skype ~ When I'm halfway around the world, seeing the smiling face of the man I love lifted my spirits on days when all I wanted to do sleep to pass 7 months away.

36) Air conditioning

37) My home

I know my list may be silly to you, but these things mean a lot to me. It's the little things that I do not always acknowledge, but I would truly miss if they were absent from my life. So many times I think that we're so spoiled that we don't realize that many days we have absolutely nothing to complain about. We're blessed. I am blessed everyday. I NEED nothing. I'm going to continue with this challenge. Thanks, Kesha, for sharing this challenge with your friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment