Monday, April 4, 2011

I'm back....but I left too soon!

Is that me typing on this keyboard? Why yes it is! I'm overdue for a blog. I know it's been a while. I kept thinking I needed to write a message talking about how it felt to be back, but I just couldn't seem to take time to sit down and write...when I'd rather be clowning with my husband. We have been having a good time enjoying each other's presence after being away from each other 5 days short of 7 months. 7 months is a long time to be away from your home and the one you love. I know it now.

In the last month that I was in Afghanistan, I would wake up and think about how I would feel when I saw my husband on the flight line. Every day that thought would make me smile...and sometimes tear up. I can't even describe how it felt to get off the plane in NC and begin my journey across the flight line. I couldn't walk fast enough. I don't remember anybody I shook hands with. I was on a mission to get to love. I had been away from the people who truly cared about me for so long that I couldn't wait to get in the presence of a person who really understood me. I just remember walking past so many people. I remember thinking as I was walking that I had never made this walk alone. My husband was always with me before. I never had this sense of urgency that I had at that moment. We usually got off the plane together and joked about hugging each other and making a big scene, so we wouldn't be left out when the other Airman got to their families. Now I was one of them. It was dark, so I couldn't see faces. When I saw a figure shift, there was no mistaking who it was. I didn't see anyone else. I tried to keep my composure, so I refrained from running. My composure left as soon as I was in his arms. It was like I forgot all about Afghanistan in that moment as my happy tears flowed.

These last few weeks I spent at home were pretty much wonderful. The first time I was home by myself, I was a bit creeped out because I hadn't been by myself in so long. Other than that, it's been amazing to be home. And then the time came for me to go TDY. So here I am in Cali in the beautiful sun, and all I can think is it's like Afghanistan again. I know it's not Afghanistan, but it's like the same feelings. I'm away from home. I'm away from my husband, and I want to go home. I want to go HOME! I want to shower with no shower shoes. I want to walk around my clean house. I want to joke around with my husband, and I want to sleep in my own bed! In due time. I do plan to enjoy my time here in Cali, but in my heart I am a little sad. I wish I could've brought home here....and by home I mean Lou.

2 comments: