Saturday, February 12, 2011

Liberation in Confrontation

It is liberating to tell people how you feel about them. You ever have that one person that just makes you soooo angry, but you choose not to say what needs to be said to them? Notice how it takes hold of you. Every time you think of the situation, it makes you angry. You're holding on this situation while the other person is sleeping just fine and not even thinking about you.

There are a few people in my life who probably need to hear the things that I need to say, so I know first hand what it feels like to allow someone to hold on to your emotions. For most others, I don't have a problem letting my feelings flow. This is not to say that you should go around just tearing people down. I do think, however, that some people are fully aware of what they're doing to anger you. I think those type of people need to be confronted (in taste) so they can know where they stand in your life.

Often times people say that you shouldn't even waste your time on meaningless people. That works for some. I'm just not in the business of brushing off things that shouldn't be brushed off. I'm very good at acting like people don't exist, BUT sometimes I think some people need to know that you're perfectly aware of the kind of person that they are. When I find that a person who has done something to me can control my emotions even when I'm not even directly interacting with that person, it is about that time to have that little talk that I like to have. Confrontation is not always comfortable, but confrontation usually brings forth results. I'm not talking about the "let me scream at you" confrontations. I am talking about very direct, no bs confrontations that allow a person to know what they have done to offend you. I think you can tell a lot about a person by how they react to when they're directly approached. Whether the person cares or not is a non-issue. The point of it all is to get this situation off your shoulders and out of you head, so that this person no longer controls you emotionally.

A lot of people say that I'm aggressive and that I like confrontation. I may be aggressive, but I actually don't like confrontation. I like respect and I like straight-up people. If I have to confront someone to get those desired results, I'm willing to do that. If I have to tell you what's on my mind (respectfully) even if it's uncomfortable, I'm willing to do that in order to be liberated from emotional turmoil. There is liberation in confrontation. You may even find during that conversation/confrontation that you have done something to offend the other person...;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment